Sunday 4 March 2018

Observe. Record. Marvel.

This was one of the images that coloured my Holi. Loved it. Don't 
know the source, using it here with due respect.



I’ve understood the job – it’s to record
as clearly as I’m able, and marvel,
it should spill over my eyes and the work
even when I’m trapped in downward spirals,
and distracted, ask ‘how long?’ and not ‘how?’
it should still be a reflex to applaud
whatever passes above or below,
and wherever the craft chooses to park.


And here’s the first draft over halfway through,
I see you’re taken aback – there’s just this?
a few blurry takes, rather hit and miss,
these bullet points too cryptic to construe.
But those who stand tongue-tied could be amazed too,
and love mayn’t be just a sharper focus.






One March over the A-Z preparations, a brainwave struck - to draw upon the expat experience and record it through my first Bengali poetry. And I am pleased to report that the first draft is nearly complete! Dozens like the experimental sonnet above, but in the mother tongue. Writing them has been a special thrill!

And yes, this March too I am recording and marvelling while I prepare for the A-Z, only not just in poetry. The A-Z Challenge is such a neat excuse to indulge!

March started off with the Indian festival of colours - Holi, a most joyous and a favourite festival. I observe and record and marvel as thoroughly as I'm able. Happy Spring! 







16 comments:

  1. Marveling (and wonder) are two of my favourite things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome that it inspired you and you're nearly done with the first draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my Minion year I think...Inspirational in more ways than one.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nila - that's great that the A-Z sets you off on such wonderful meanderings ... I love reading them and knowing that they, with the delightful music you send us to listen to, is here for later reads and listens = dreadful grammar: sorry!

    Yes we do observe, record and marvel at our different worlds - human and natural ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grammar is perfectly charming, Hilary as are your posts :)

      Delete
  4. wow - I look forward to your Sunday posts. April is a gem with everyday. Sounds like another winning A to Z for you. And the idea of a Festival of Colors made me smile. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have fun at the A-Z - and I suspect I have more fun writing than my readers do reading :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you both for your kindness, and patience! That is a serious morale booster!

      Delete
  5. I'm probably going to skip the A-Z again this year. (I briefly visited the site and it looks like they're still using a confusing way of having people sign up, and find each other.) It's been useful the two years I did participate, though. I picked up a few new readers, and after all, it is how I found your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that! - I've found some real neat blogs through the A-Z including yours. I have a sneaking feeling that i enjoy the research and prepping more than the actual blogfest...how weird is that?!

      Well, they are having a masterlist this year, I just signed up earlier...last year the lack of one didn't affect my comments/visits here, but it messed up my own reading/finding new blogs big time. Hopefully that's going to be different this year. Cautiously optimistic :-)

      Delete
  6. It's so amazing that you were able to finish that first draft!

    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The A-Z has indeed taken me to some super awesome places. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Very cool! So happy to have you along with us again on the A to Z journey. Love the photo.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness and for creating this very special A-Z space. I'm so looking forward to April.

      Delete